Uganda News

The Bwaise school fire was caused by electricity, according to police.

According to early police investigations, electricity may have been the source of the fire that destroyed two school dorms at Bilal Islamic Primary and Secondary School in the Bwaise Kawempe district.

The fire that torched the dorms of senior one and two students began at 9:00 p.m., destroying the students’ stuff, including books and beddings, although no one was damaged.

Parents invaded the school earlier on Monday to check on their children and see whether they were safe, and the school then permitted parents to take their children home because the school was temporarily closed.

The clues investigators have obtained so far from the scene show that electricity sparks occurred before the fire spread in the dormitories, according to Kampala Metropolitan Deputy Police spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire.

“Two boys dorms were burned,” Owoyesigyire stated, “but current information from the ground indicates that the fire was sparked by electricity sparks, but this has yet to be confirmed.” “Our CID and fire rescue teams are currently on the site scouring the area.”

However, Kampala Lord Mayor Erias Lukwago, who was among the leaders who visited the school earlier, expressed dissatisfaction with security investigations that were never completed following previous fires.

The recent fires that have been reported in Kampala schools, according to Lukwago, are planned and not accidental.

Juliet Namuddu, KCCA’s Director of Education and Social Services, said that while security conducts investigations, KCCA would also engage specialists to find out.

According to Owoyesigyire, the Police Directorate of Fire Prevention and Rescue Services is putting together a report that will be presented to the public on the underlying cause of the increased fires in schools, particularly in the Kampala Metropolitan Area, and how they might be avoided.

The school will be closed for a week, and parents in both the primary and secondary sections are encouraged to bring up their children. The school will reopen next week on Monday, March 7th, according to a statement made by the school’s headteacher, Bruhane Tekaane.

This is the third fire breakout in Kampala district’s school dorms in less than two months since classes resumed in January.

In the two fire outbreaks at New Crest Junior at Kibedi Day and Boarding Primary School in Kawempe Division, and the fire at Good Times Infant Primary School Kawala in Rubaga Division, Kampala region, at least five kids died.

ADVERTISMENT

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button