Tennis

Suarez Navarro receives a standing ovation as she leaves the stage.

Suarez Navarro, who has twice reached the quarterfinals at Flushing Meadows, is pleased of her accomplishments in the sport.

Carla Suarez Navarro was given a standing ovation at Flushing Meadows on Monday as she announced the end of her Grand Slam singles career after losing in the first round of the US Open.

The 32-year-old Spaniard confirmed in September 2020 that she was being treated for early-stage Hodgkin cancer and underwent months of arduous chemotherapy and treatment before returning in June at the French Open.

The former world number six, who is noted for her magnificent single-handed backhand, had already indicated that New York would be her final Grand Slam singles performance.

Suarez Navarro remarked after her 6-2 6-4 loss to Danielle Collins, “I lost, but this year was a gift.”

“I didn’t know if I could be here one more time on these days last year, and I’m here,” said the Spaniard, who was in hospital on this date a year ago.

“That makes me pleased.”

Suarez Navarro, who has twice reached the quarterfinals at Flushing Meadows, is pleased of her accomplishments in the sport.

“I’m satisfied with the person and player I’ve become over the years,” she remarked.

“When I was younger, I had an ambition of becoming a top-10 player in the world. I believe this is quite challenging. Of course, I have other dreams, but I never follow through on them. I’ve never won a Grand Slam tournament. I’ve never been the best in the world, but this is quite challenging.”

Suarez Navarro, who is scheduled to compete in her first round doubles match on Wednesday, said she would be willing to compete in the Billie Jean King Cup if Spain chose her.

“For the time being, I’d like to unwind a little,” she explained. “I want to spend time with my family and friends at home.”

ADVERTISMENT

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button