Europe

Prince Andrew loses his military titles and the right to use the designation HRH.

Buckingham Palace announced that the Duke of York's military titles and royal patronages have been returned to the Queen.

Buckingham Palace announced that the Duke of York’s military titles and royal patronages have been returned to the Queen.

According to a royal source, Prince Andrew, 61, will likewise quit using the style His Royal Highness in an official capacity.

It comes as he faces a civil suit in the United States over sexual assault allegations, which he has always denied.

According to a source close to the duke, he will “continue to defend himself” in the New York case launched by Virginia Giuffre.

However, the source emphasized that a judge’s decision to allow the civil suit to proceed on Wednesday was “not a judgment on the merits of Ms Giuffre’s allegations.”

“The Duke of York’s military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to the Queen with the Queen’s assent and agreement,” Buckingham Palace stated in a statement.

“The Duke of York will continue to refuse to perform any governmental obligations and is defending himself as a private person in this matter.”

According to a source, all of Prince Andrew’s roles have been returned to the Queen and will be allocated to other members of the Royal Family.

The subject had been discussed extensively with the Royal Family, according to the source.

Prince Andrew, like Harry and Meghan, will keep his title of HRH but will not use it in any official role.

The Queen and Prince Andrew

The Ministry of Defence had no comment on the duke’s military titles being returned to the Queen, and stated it was a matter for the Palace to handle.

More than 150 Royal Navy, RAF, and Army veterans signed a letter to the Queen on Thursday, urging her to revoke Prince Andrew of his eight British military titles. The letter was issued by the anti-monarchy lobbying organization Republic.

Lt Stuart Hunt, a member of The 1st Royal Tank Regiment who signed the letter, said the prince’s military titles should have been revoked sooner, but that the problem should have been settled sooner.

“It’s an unsavoury industry,” the 52-year-old told PA News Agency. I’m just relieved that he’s no longer involved with the service.

“Whether he’s guilty or not, he has brought things into disrepute… He’s not fit to serve in an honorary rank. He has forgone that right by getting into this sort of situation.”

ADVERTISMENT

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button