Business News

Museveni Salutes Ugandan Scientists for Discovering Oil Resources

After a British attempt in 1920 that saw oil oozing to the surface at a place called Kibiro, but later in 1956 established that oil existed but later evaporated, according to the report of the commissioner of Geology by then, President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni praised Ugandan scientists for discovering oil resources in 2006.

Museveni Salutes Ugandan Scientists for Discovering Oil Resources

After a British attempt in 1920 that saw oil oozing to the surface at a place called Kibiro, but later in 1956 established that oil existed but later evaporated, according to the report of the commissioner of Geology by then, President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni praised Ugandan scientists for discovering oil resources in 2006.

On January 24, 2023, Museveni made the comments as he formally began oil drilling operations at the Kingfisher Development Area in the Kikuube District. This involved commissioning the Kingfisher drilling rig for all 31 oil wells, including the deepest well, which is nearly seven kilometers deep.

On September 12, 2022, the drilling rig, LR8001, arrived in Mombasa, and on September 13, 2022, 280 trucks delivered it in pieces to the Pad-2 site in the Kikuube district of western Uganda.

In November 2022, it was fully assembled and installed after external examinations.

China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC), one of the biggest oil and gas firms in Uganda’s energy industry, manages the Kingfisher Development Area.

The Albertine Graben in Uganda is home to close to 6.5 billion barrels of known oil and gas reserves, according to the Petroleum Authority of Uganda.

At a peak production rate of roughly 230,000 barrels per day, we anticipate recovering about 1.4 billion barrels out of the 6.5 billion barrels.

The 6.5 billion barrels of oil are only found in 40% of the Muttanzige-Butungi valley, according to President Museveni, who added that “we are going to seek for more oil in the other 60% of that valley.”

These regions include the Moroto-Kadam Basin in Karamoja, a portion of the North Kyoga Basin that includes Lango and Kaberamaido, and the Hoima basin (Kafu) between Hoima and Masindi.

“I summoned the minister Chango Macho and the Permanent Secretary called Opio, and I said you folks hunt for Ugandans with bachelor’s degrees in Chemistry, Geology, and Physics to go for a Master’s,” Museveni remarked during his speech at the event.

When they have finished their studies, they will be the ones to lead us. They left in 1987 and returned in 1989, H.E. Museveni remarked, noting that the group set out to find oil, which they eventually did in 2006.

“I want to make a pitch to the bosses here. Don’t run into anything concerning ‘Okutomera’ in Luganda that you don’t understand. Ask for assistance if you need it if you are unsure of something. I’m overjoyed for these individuals (scientists) who underwent training. They didn’t fail us when they returned.

The President remarked, “I thank them very much and I salute them. This allowed me avoid making important judgments on behalf of Ugandans that I was not convinced of.

He also expressed his gratitude to the partners and oil firms for investing their knowledge and resources in Uganda’s oil sector.

“I would want to applaud CNOOC for moving and hope that others will follow. As a result, we are continuing with the oil. We take great attention in this area. In addition to developing solar energy, we will also exploit our oil resources, added H.E. Museveni.

Since Uganda has the capacity and the know-how to operate in the oil and gas sector, the President reaffirmed the government’s commitment to utilising oil and petroleum resources responsibly for a very long time.

H.E. Museveni declared, “We shall search for all these oils and use them carefully for a long period.”

The Kingfisher Development Area, which is situated in the Kyangwali Sub-county south of Lake Albert,

ADVERTISMENT

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button