Religion & Spirituality

Kumi priest misses his work as a bishop and resigns.

The Rev Charles Oode Okunya, an Anglican clergyman in the Church of Uganda, has resigned a month after his bid for Bishop fell through.

He informed the Daily Monitor yesterday that he intends to continue his studies while waiting for another summons from God.

Rev Okunya, who has since gone silent amid squabbles among his followers regarding his selection as bishop in 2019, said he will have time to convey his views to the public at a later date.

“Despite my silence and the fact that I had been out of Kumi Diocese for a long time, I continued to be mocked.”

“I was retained to serve as secretary of education, but to my dismay, I have police summons originating from the diocese charging me of attempting to assassinate the bishop’s person,” he claimed.

Rev Okunya and three others were summoned to Kumi Central Police Station on March 19 to assist police with an allegation of wanting to incite violence, according to police summons reviewed by this daily.

Mike Okwii Esakan, the Bishop of Kumi Diocese, who appointed Rev Okunya as diocesan secretary in charge of education two weeks ago, confirmed to our publication that the diocese has received the resignation letter.

Mr Jonathan Maraka, the diocese’s communication manager, said Rev Okunya submitted his resignation but did not meet with the bishop.

“In his resignation, he emphasized his desire to go back to school and also sit in the vineyard, waiting for God to show him the next calling,” Mr Maraka explained.

Bishop’s Search

Rev Okunya, who has been at the center of controversy in Kumi Diocese, was named bishop-elect for the diocese by the House of Bishops on November 19, 2019.

His election sparked jubilation, with some devout members sending funds to his consecration. The joy was short-lived, however, as his appointment was canceled just days before his consecration on December 29, 2020.

Between January 2020 and January 2021, a select committee of bishops led by Rev Patrick Gidudu, Samuel G.B Egesa, and George W.Kasangaki investigated charges that he lied about his age and was not properly married in church, in addition to having another wife.

Rev Okunya, who was dissatisfied with the cancellation, went to court to seek legal recourse, but the court dismissed his case.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button